Saturday, June 26, 2010

UK: Amanda Staveley finds that Islam moves closer to her heart


Amanda Staveley, the former girlfriend of the Duke of York, talks about falling in love with a Muslim.

Tim Walker. Edited by Richard Eden

Amanda Staveley has helped bring some of the Islamic world's biggest financial investments to this country. The 36-year-old Yorkshirewoman has now received an offer closer to her heart.

"My boyfriend is Muslim," disclosed Staveley, who was once predicted to become the Duke of York's second wife.

The former Businesswoman of the Year said on Friday that she was attracted to the Muslim faith. "I believe in monotheism," she said. "Whether it is Judaism, Islam, Christianity, there are more similarities than there are differences, but I am drawn to Islam."

Staveley did not disclose the name of her boyfriend, but said he had not encouraged her to join his faith. "I don't think he would ask me to convert," she said.

The businesswoman, who helped bring huge investments in Barclays bank and Manchester City football club from Gulf sheiks, has already turned her thoughts to babies. "If I had children? I would leave it up to my kids as to what decision they make in regard to what faith they want to be a part of," she said. "I think women in the Gulf are treated with a huge amount of respect."

She said of Prince Andrew: "Yes, we dated. I am very fond of him; he is a great friend. He has done a huge amount for British business as a trade ambassador. He is extremely well-liked in the Gulf. He promotes British business very heavily and he's got access where other people haven't, and he will do anything to help a British business. He works extraordinarily hard."

No comments:

Post a Comment